Our educational mission is to increase energy and environmental awareness, and to engage students and community members firsthand with clean and renewable energy technologies.
Our Center is affiliated with the Environmental Resources Engineering department at Humboldt State University, and also works closely with department faculty in Environmental Science and Management, Environmental Systems, Economics, and Forestry. We collaborate with local K12 teachers and program leaders, lead seminars and workshops on the California north coast, and provide training opportunities around the globe.
- Speaker Series: the Sustainable Futures Speaker Series features visiting experts in clean energy access and technology, and in environmental studies. This lecture series is co-hosted by the Schatz Center and HSU’s Environment & Community graduate program.
- Outreach program: We offer tours of our lab and provide workshops and presentations through our outreach program. Via hands-on activities and games, students of all ages explore clean energy strategies and discuss cutting-edge energy technologies.
- Curriculum development: Our engineers and educators work together to design curriculum for elementary through university students. Contact us if you are interested in collaborating on new curriculum, or to discuss how existing materials can be tailored for your classroom.
- Off-Grid Energy Access: We provide training to solar product testing labs worldwide, under the Lighting Global program.
Opportunities for students
- Education team: The Center’s volunteer docents teach classes about power and energy, and table at community events.
- Student research assistants: Undergraduate and graduate research assistants are engaged across all of our project areas.
- Graduate fellowships: Four fellowships for HSU graduate students are coordinated through the Center – the Schatz Energy Fellowship, the Blue Lake Rancheria Fellowship for Clean Energy Studies, the Christina and Jack West Fellowship, and the Donald and Andrea Tuttle Fellowship for Clean Energy Studies.
Questions about our education programs? Contact Maia Cheli, Outreach Coordinator.