The Schatz Center hosts two lecture programs: the Sustainable Futures Speaker Series (SFSS) and the Schatz Research Webinars. Our team also participates in a broad range of events related to clean and renewable energy access, development, and resilience.
- Subscribe to the Schatz Energy News for details on upcoming events, plus job announcements and our latest research developments.
Wind turbines and agriculture
Upcoming in the speaker series
We’re holding the Fall 2021 Sustainable Futures speaker series online. Each talk will be streamed via Zoom webinar and followed by a Q&A discussion period.
All events are free and open to the public, and live captioning is provided for all lectures. To request additional support, please contact email@example.com or call 707-826-4345 as early as possible before an event.
Registration for all events will open on September 10.
Save the dates:
- September 23 @ 5:30 pm (Pacific): Grace Wu — Building a net zero energy system that protects biodiversity
- October 7 @ 4 pm (Pacific): Bill McKibben — What Can We Still Do?
- November 4 @ 5:30 pm (Pacific): Sam Arons — The road ahead: shared electric vehicles
Schatz Research Webinars
Trinidad Head from the stern of the Coral Sea
Offshore wind webinar series
In the fall of 2020, our team hosted a series of five webinar workshops on the feasibility of offshore wind energy for California’s north coast. In each webinar, we shared findings from our recently conducted studies, followed by a moderated panel discussion and a community Q&A.
Orcas in Monterey Bay – photo by Scott Terrill
- Energy transitions in a time of intersecting precarities: from reductive environmentalism to antiracist praxis – Myles Lennon (October 29, 2020)
- Redwood Coast telecommunications resilience – Karen Eckersley and Jana Ganion (October 22, 2020)
- Safer breathing: reducing the risk of airborne COVID 19 infection – Mark Nicas (September 3, 2020)
- Thwaites Glacier Research: On board the Nathaniel B Palmer -Julia Wellner, Al Hickey, and Tim McGovern (July 29, 2020)
Schatz Research Webinars
California north coast offshore wind feasibility studies
- Energy Production and Delivery, and Economic Development (September 2020)
- Ecological and Geological Environment (September 2020)
- Port and Coastal Infrastructure (September 2020)
- Community Perspectives on Regional Impacts and Opportunities (October 2020)
- Reflections and Next Steps
- Local Governments Leading the Way through Resilient Microgrids (Statewide Energy Efficient Collaborative, September 2020)
- Redwood Coast Airport Microgrid: Advancing a resilient and clean energy future (Clean Coalition, September 2020)
- Innovations of the Redwood Coast Airport microgrid (Cal CCA, April 2020)
OFF-GRID ENERGY ACCESS
- IEC quality standards for pico-solar products & SHS kits (VeraSol, May 2020)