The Schatz Center hosts two lecture programs: the Sustainable Futures Speaker Series (SFSS) and the Schatz Research Webinars. Our team also participates in a broad range of events related to clean and renewable energy access, development, and resilience.
- Subscribe to the Schatz Energy News for details on upcoming events, plus job announcements and our latest research developments.
Upper Bay Road, Arcata
Upcoming in the speaker series
October 22 @ 4 pm
Redwood Coast telecom resilience: how broadband, internet, cellular, and emergency communications are changing, and becoming more resilient and climate-smart: REGISTER
This discussion between Karen Eckersley and Jana Ganion, two resiliency innovators from California’s rural north coast, will focus on solutions that are already in play — or on the near horizon — to bridge the digital divide and provide robust telecom service in rural areas. Read more about this event…
October 29 @ 5:30 pm
From decarbonization to decolonization: a framework for action on the Green New Deal: REGISTER
This talk will offer a pragmatic praxis for aligning community solar campaigns with antiracist principles — linkages that can help communities of color rebuild after Covid-19. Myles Lennon is an environmental anthropologist, Dean’s Assistant Professor of Environment & Society and Anthropology at Brown University, and a former sustainable energy policy practitioner.
Schatz Research Webinars
Trinidad Head from the stern of the Coral Sea
Offshore wind webinar series
This fall, our team hosted a series of five webinar workshops on the feasibility of offshore wind energy for California’s north coast. Our closing event was held on October 19, 2020.
In each webinar, we shared a set of findings from our recently conducted studies, followed by a moderated panel discussion and a community Q&A.
Orcas in Monterey Bay – photo by Scott Terrill
- Thwaites Glacier Research: On board the Nathaniel B Palmer (July 29, 2020)
Schatz Research Webinars
California north coast offshore wind feasibility studies
- Energy Production and Delivery, and Economic Development (September 2020)
- Ecological and Geological Environment (September 2020)
- Port and Coastal Infrastructure (September 2020)
- Community Perspectives on Regional Impacts and Opportunities (October 2020)
- Reflections and Next Steps
- Local Governments Leading the Way through Resilient Microgrids (Statewide Energy Efficient Collaborative, September 2020)
- Redwood Coast Airport Microgrid: Advancing a resilient and clean energy future (Clean Coalition, September 2020)
- Innovations of the Redwood Coast Airport microgrid (Cal CCA, April 2020)
OFF-GRID ENERGY ACCESS
- IEC quality standards for pico-solar products & SHS kits (VeraSol, May 2020)