We invite you to join us on Wednesday, March 1, for a symposium on Rural & Tribal Community Resilience: Strategies for Action. This in-person event is part of the SAFE project — a collaboration of the Blue Lake Rancheria Tribe, the Karuk Tribe, and the Schatz Energy Research Center at Cal Poly Humboldt.
This day-long symposium will bring together Tribal leaders and community members, students and researchers, local government and state agency representatives, and others working on efforts related to smoke, air, fire, and energy (SAFE), with a goal of enhancing rural and Tribal climate resilience.
Communities across our region are facing increased fire risk and worsening air quality while navigating unreliable energy infrastructure. At the state and federal level, there has recently been an influx of funding to address these needs — and to build the related job skills and workforce capacity within local communities. The SAFE symposium will include speaker and panel discussions of clean energy, cultural fire, and air quality; host microgrid tours and a solar training workshop; and support collaborative group conversations.
This symposium is free and open to the public. It will be held in the Blue Lake Rancheria’s Sapphire Palace from 10 am to 4:30 pm, and will include a complimentary lunch, beverages, and snacks. Hotel information is available via the registration form.
- Click here to register now and reserve your meal.
- Questions? Please contact SAFE project manager Tanya Garcia.
- 9:30 am – Convene
- 10:00 am – Welcome and opening comments
- 10:45 am – Presentation: Women’s TREX
- 11:00 am – Panel discussion: “Living with Fire and Smoke”
- 11:40 am – Panel discussion: “Safe Air for Everyone”
- 12:30 pm – Lunch
- 1:30 pm – Tours, trainings and workshops, and collaborative discussions
- 3:00 pm – Presentation: “Progress and Opportunities for Microgrids”
- 3:30 pm – Panel discussion: “Building Community Energy Sovereignty”
- 4:00 pm – Closing comments
Lodging for symposium participants is available at the Blue Lake Hotel at a rate of $90 per night for the nights of February 27 and 28, and March 1 and 2. To make a reservation, please call the hotel front desk at (707) 668-9770 x2881 and request the “SAFE Symposium” group rate.