Our interdisciplinary outreach team brings renewable energy programs to the local community via classroom presentations, Schatz Center tours and workshops, and participation in community events. Docents are key members of this outreach program.
Are you interested in becoming a docent? We’re looking for volunteer team members who:
- Are curious about energy systems and sustainability
- Are interested in working with youth, college students, and community members, and
- Are committed to inclusivity in science.
Students in all majors — and from all local colleges — are invited to apply for the outreach team. Experience working with youth, familiarity with renewable energy systems, and multilingualism are all highly welcome skill sets.
Docents typically volunteer between 5-10 hours per month, depending on the event calendar. Four 1-hour team trainings will be held in the first month. Docents are also encouraged to attend a “first Friday Schatz tour” each semester, to learn about our latest project work.
When and how to apply
We invite docent applications at the start of each semester. Currently, we are accepting applications through 5 pm on Monday, March 9, 2020. To apply, please submit a cover letter describing:
- Why are you interested in joining our outreach team?
- Do you have experience working with youth (in or out of the classroom)?
- Have you worked with community outreach programs before?
- What is your interest level and familiarity with topics related to clean and renewable energy, local resilience, sustainability, or climate change?
- And, if you are comfortable conversing in languages other than English, please note those in your cover letter.
In addition to your letter, please provide a list of any coursework, certifications, or internships you have completed in (a) education, (b) science or engineering, (c) environmental studies, or (d) sustainability. List the year and level of the course taken — e.g. “Environmental Studies seminar at HSU, 2019, upper division.” (Please do not submit grade transcripts.)
The Schatz Energy Research Center is committed to developing and supporting a diverse and inclusive workplace for all staff. If you have any questions about volunteering, please contact our communications & outreach manager, Maia Cheli.